Parents know that there’s rarely any downtime and that it’s not unusual to feel rushed off your feet! When you lead such a busy lifestyle, it’s more important than ever to take care of your health and establish a workable self-care routine. The best thing to do is to set yourself a few simple self-care goals. For some great inspiration, check out these.
1. Start Practicing Yoga
We all know that exercise is such an important part of any self-care regime. It’s the best way to improve your mental and physical health. If you’re looking to add variety to your workout, yoga is an amazing choice. Yoga isn’t just about improving your physical health; it’s about calming your mind, learning breathing techniques, and practicing mindfulness.
The best thing about yoga is that you don’t need lots of time to practice. Apps like Glo and Daily Yoga offer short ten-minute video sessions, so you can still practice on your super busy days.
2. Gain Some Time Back
Feel like you’re constantly busy? Being excessively busy and exhausted may lead to an increase in stress and anxiety. To feel calmer and more relaxed you may try a herbal supplement like kava. Since kava comes in different qualities, it is good to do your research on where to get kava.
Also, for gaining some time back and for feeling less busy consider the following:
- Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier: Want to improve your morning routine? Try setting your alarm 30 minutes earlier, and have yourself a bit of ‘me time’ before the kids wake up!
- Use your support network: Create a support network of family, friends, or parents in your local area. Don’t be afraid to ask these people for support with your children so that you can get a little extra time to yourself.
- Try meal-planning: planning your family meals for the week can help you to save time and money. You can also set yourself a rule that you’ll only cook meals that take 30 minutes (or under).
3. Improve Your Sleep
Our sleep quality affects our mood, health, and well-being, (which is why it’s important to get enough)! There are many different ways that you can seek to improve your sleep.
- Herbal sleep supplements: When you’re struggling to sleep at night, consider taking herbal supplements such as passionflower, or chamomile. Also CBD oil may help to improve your sleep. Just remember to always do your research before trying CBD – if you have never tried CBD-infused products before, you might be worried that CBD causes withdrawal symptoms. However, it is widely accepted that CBD actually works to help curb addiction by balancing the levels of neurotransmitters like glutamate and dopamine in the brain.
- Improve your baby’s sleep: If you have a young baby in your family, the chances are you don’t always get the best night’s rest! To help your baby sleep better, you can try using the Sound Sleeper app.
- Try sleep apps for yourself: While you’re at it, try downloading a few sleep apps for yourself. Popular options include Slumber, Headspace, or Calm.
4. Make Time To Socialize
Keeping up your social life can be hard as a busy parent, and sleep plays an important role in your well-being. Set yourself the goal of doing at least one social activity with friends each week, whether it’s a coffee, a walk, or an exercise class. Even one hour out of your week to socialize can do wonders for your wellness and happiness.
5. Keep A Diary
Parents know that bringing up your kids arrives with good days and bad days; it can be an emotional experience at times. A diary is a great place to express emotions, track your goals, and list the things you are grateful for. Expressing more gratitude can help you to improve your mental health and appreciate the little things in life. You can also use a diary to write up happy memories or plan your schedule. Diaries are a fantastic tool for both self-care and getting organized.
6. Collect Self-Care Tools
Sometimes we need a little support and inspiration to build the right self-care routine. It can be handy to collect self-care tools, whether apps, books, or podcasts. To start your collection today, have a try of these:
- The Habit Coach Podcast: Tune in and let Ashlin Doctor teach you how to create more positive habits. Whether it’s habits around productivity, maintaining healthy relationships, or improving nutrition, he’s got plenty of ideas to help you out!
- My Possible Self: This is a mental health app that can reduce anxiety, stress, and low mood in just 8 weeks. Using this application, you can learn more about taking care of your mental health, with practical strategies to fit around your lifestyle.
With any luck, these six goals should help you to start improving your self-care routine. On your busiest days, even ten minutes of downtime for yourself will make a huge difference. Remember, it can take a little time to perfect your self-care routine.